The rules for hunting coyotes in South Carolina are a predator hunter's dream. Take a minute to read through them here; Then check for updates before making your first point of view.
In South Carolina, aA hunting license is required to hunt coyotes.There are no closed seasons or baggage restrictions on private property. Night hunting is permitted on registered properties or with a scavenging permit. Hate speech and electronic callers are allowed.
Obtain a South Carolina hunting licensehere.
Check out all hunting seasons in South Carolina.
Related:Learn the rules forFuchsjagd in South Carolina.
Related:Learn the rules forHunting bobcats in South Carolina.
Chasing coyotes in South Carolina at night.
Night hunting requires registration of the property to be hunted. Please read the law mentioned below carefully.
Notice on privately owned night hunting and registration for hunting wild boar,Kojoten, or armadillos at night.
Wild boar, coyotes, and armadillos can be hunted at night on registered properties where an individual has a legal right to hunt. wild boars, coyotes or armadilloscanNotbeing hunted at night on unregistered plots, except with a destruction permit issued by the DNR. AHunting license is required for every hunter16 years or older.
- Registered properties may have wild boar, coyotes, or armadilloshunted at nightwith artificial lights and night vision devices with legal firearms, bows or crossbows.
- It is unlawful to hunt wild boar, coyotes, or armadillos within 300 yards of a residence at night without the resident's permission. This length restriction does not apply to landowners hunting their own property or under the authority of a DNR-issued robbery permit.
- It is unlawful to shoot or shoot a boar, coyote, or armadillo off, on, or across a public paved road at night.
- A brief annual report of each registered property's night hunting activity is required to re-register a property the following year. Properties for which no notifications have been submitted will only be re-registered once the notifications have been submitted.
- Individuals engaged in night hunting of deer, bear orTurkeys within the last five years are not permitted to huntWild boars, coyotes or armadillos at night.
Related:Read this article to choosethe right colored light for nocturnal coyote hunting.
Related:What is the best infrared scope for newbies?predator hunter? Click here to learn more about itdas ATN X-Sight.
Registration process for night coyote hunting.
- Property registration is required once a year as required by DNR for each property.The night hunting season runs from January 1st to December 31st each year, regardless of when the property is registered.
- Applicants are asked to provide the following information to identify and locate the property:
- Thatproperty identifier. This is the tax card number (TMS # or Package ID #) as listed by the County's Assessors Office in the county where the property is located.
- Thatcity(or the nearest town or municipality) where the property is located.
- Thatdistrictwhere is.
- Thatacreageof property.
- Aobject descriptionby listing the street names and numbers that border the property.
Register a property onlinefor lawful night hunting of wild boar, coyotes and armadillos during hunting season.
Related: What is the best time of day for coyote hunting?
Related: Save a deer, shoot a coyote?
Annual reporting is required for nocturnal coyote hunting in South Carolina.
SCDNR uses an online application system for this registration process and you will need to create a user and password. Make sure you have your DNR customer identification number ready when preparing to apply, or you can create a new customer identification number. Please do not create a new Customer ID number if you have ever held a South Carolina hunting or fishing license of any kind. Your Client ID number can be found on any government issued hunting or fishing license.
Registered night hunting properties are required to report their night hunting activities annually from the time the property is registered through December 31 of each year. If you have registered multiple properties, fill out the report for each property.
Related:Continue reading this articlethe two best sounds to bring in a coyote.
Related: Want to know how to do itkeep a coyote's attention while you call?
Is there a bounty for coyote hunting in South Carolina?
The state offers a subsidy program.
The Coyote Harvest Incentive Program was created in 2016 by a budget rule (47.10) directing SCDNR to develop and implement a coyote tagging and rewards program. Annually, SCDNR captures, marks, and deploys four coyotes per game zone (16 total). Anyone who takes a tag successfully and reportsCoyote will be rewarded with a free lifetime huntlicense. The person reporting the tagged coyote has the option to nominate an individual for the lifetime license, e.g. B. a child, a relative or a friend.
A total of 96 coyotes have been tagged and released over the past five years, including the 16 coyotes tagged this fishing season. So far, just under half of the tagged coyotes have been reported as captured.Kojotenflagged in any year are eligible for the lifetime license incentive. The specially marked tags provide contact information directly on them. Only the uniqueidentifiable SCDNR coyoteTags are eligible for the lifetime license as some coyotes may have been tagged for research purposes.
More ownership, more coyote hunting in South Carolina.
You have to manage the land you have and ask permission to hunt other private land.
Here are a few tips:
- Avoid chasing your land—click here.
- Find out how to properly set up your stands on existing spaces –click here.
- Use these tips to get permission to hunt private property -click here.
First, help a local farmer. Show it to themhow to kill a fox that eats its chickens.
If they got a weasel in their stable, help themprevent a second attack.
Help a farmer and he will invite you to hunt his land and keep his property free from predators.
Chasing coyotes in South Carolina during the day.
As long as you have a South CarolinaHunting license allows you to hunt coyotesall year round on private property. Legal paraphernalia include firearms, bows and crossbows.
On State Owned Land (WMA's)Hunting coyotes is only permitted during the day and only when the WMA you are in has an open hunting season. You must check the rules for the specific WMA you wish to hunt at.
Don't drink or hunt coyotes in South Carolina.
Under ARTICLE 6: Use of a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance
SECTION23-31-400. definitions; unlawful use of firearms; violations.
(A) As used in this article:
(1) “Using a firearm” means firing a firearm.
(2) “Aggravated bodily harm” is a physical condition that involves a significant risk of death, serious personal disfigurement, or long-term loss or impairment of any part or organ of the body.
(B) It is unlawful in that State for a person under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance to use a firearm.
(C) A person who violates the provisions of subsection (B) is guilty of a misdemeanor and, if convicted, shall be liable to a fine of not less than two thousand dollars or to imprisonment for not more than two years.
(D) This article does not apply to persons lawfully defending themselves or their property.
Summary of Coyote Hunting Laws for South Carolina.
This article contains only some of theregulations for huntingin South Carolina. It is solely your responsibility to check for updates and hunt legally. This article is for informational purposes only.
Always use firearms safely!